Showing 2421 resultsNames
Angus MacGillivray, FRSE FSA Scot., was born in 1865 in Abriachan, Invernesshshire. He was educated at Fordyce Academy, and Aberdeen University Between 1889 and 1935 he held varous academic and medical apointments, notably as Lecturer in Ophthalmology at University College, Dundee and founder and surgeon of the Department of Ophthalmology, Dundee Royal Infirmary. MacGillivray died at his home in Crail in 1947
Anna MacDonald was born in Dundee in 1935 and was the eldest of six children. She was educated at Rockwell Primary School and Rockwell Secondary School, Dundee. She worked for a number of companies in Dundee, including Watson and Philip and Burndept-Vidor, and also worked at the University of Dundee, where she was the operator of the first word processer the University used. A prolific and award winning poet, Anna MacDonald has produced several collections of verse, and is also the author of booklets about old Dundee. Much of her poetry relates to Dundee and its culture. Her poem 'Oor Wullie' was widely used in conjunction with the Oor Wullie Bucket Trail in Dundee in 2016 and Oor Wullie's Big Bucket Trail in 2019, while her poem 'Adele Penguin' was been used to promote Maggie's Penguin Parade in Dundee in 2018. Her poetry has also been used in schools and material produced by Verdant Works. She translated the Japanese poem Furusato into English for the Nagano Winter Olympic Games in 1998. Anna MacDonald has also been recognised for her contributions to traditional music, and for many years performed as part of the 'Temperance Two Showband' with her second husband Clifford Inglis, who died in 2018. She is also the author of an unpublished autobiography which gives a frank account of her life and provides an invaluable insight into working class life in twentieth century Dundee. A year before his death, Cliff Ingles wrote his autobiography "I Belonged to Glasgow" which includes some of Anna's poems. Examples of Anna MacDonald's poetry can be found at http://bygone.dundeecity.gov.uk/people/anna-macdonald Cliff Inglis is featured on this podcast from the 2017 Dundee Literary Festival https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/literarydundeepodcast/episodes/2017-10-17T22_00_00-07_00
Anna Milne Mackie was born in East Newport in 1902, the daughter of William Ingles, master builder, and his wife Johanna Milne. She attended Newport School and Dundee High School where she was awarded the Harris Gold Medal. Mackie graduated from University College, Dundee with a Second Class Honours degree in mathematics in 1924. She trained as a teacher and taught for many years at Morgan Academy, Dundee where she was latterly Principal Teacher of Mathematics. Mackie died in Dundee Royal Infirmary, 19 December 1973.
Annie Chalmers Walden, nee Nicoll, was born 12 August 1915 at 3 Balfour Street, Dundee. The youngest of four daughters, their parents ran a working men's cafe in Hunter Street. Annie attended Harris Academy, 1926-1932, then began her studies at Dundee University College. By 1935 Annie had gained a first class degree in Science, and a year later with honours in Zoology. She was also captain of the College's athletics team. Annie had studied under Professor Peacock, and continued working with him as researcher and tutor until 1937. Annie then worked as an assistant guide lecturer at the Perth Museum for two years, then at Leicester Museums as an education assistant There, she met Trevor Walden, (who would become the director of the Burrell collection in Glasgow) and they married in 1941. During WW2, Annie was posted the the British Library, while her husband served in the Navy. Her research involved investigating beaches for the D day landings. In 1945 Annie left London and took the post of Director of Halifax Museum. After the war and the births of her children, Annie worked as a demonstrator in the Zoolology Dept of Leicester University and also taught in local schools and colleges as well as working for Leicester University Press. In 1973, she trained as a teacher at Jordanhill College, Glasgow, after which she taught science in a number of schools, her final post being at Clydebank High School. Annie had two sons, Ian and Neil; Ian graduated from Dundee in 1966 having studied Engineering, and her niece, Sheila, lectured at Dundee in Chemistry. Annie has lived in Bowling, West Dunbartonshire since 1973 and was, for 26 years, the Chair of the Bowling and Milton Community Council.
This company was formed in 1895 to carry on the business of horsedealers, posthorse masters, cab and omnibus proprietors and livery stable keepers. It later traded under the name of the Arbroath Motor Company.
In 1836 the need for medical provision "for the relief of the poor" in Arbroath was so great that a dispensary was set up by public subscription and run by the local medical practitioners. A typhus epidemic in 1842 resulted in the first in-patient service, a small fever ward for the isolation of typhus sufferers, and from 1843 subscriptions were being raised to develop this into an infirmary. With the aid of donations from subscribers and from Lord Panmure the new Infirmary opened in 1845 to provide both out-patient and in-patient care. By 1913 this building was becoming overcrowded and in 1916 the Infirmary moved to a new building on Rosemount Road. This was extended further in 1961 with the addition of the Queen Mother maternity wing. In 1948 the hospital was absorbed into the Eastern Region Hospital Board under the terms of the National Health (Scotland) Act of 1947. In 2020 it is managed by NHS Tayside.
Lord Archibald James Edward Stewart Douglas of Douglas (1748-1827) was the eldest son of Lady Jane Steuart and her husband Colonel Douglas (after 1759 Sir John Stewart, 3rd Baronet of Grandtully). He was educated at Rugby and at Westminster and in 1761 inherited the estate of Douglas from his uncle Archibald, first Duke of Douglas (1694-1761), whose sister was Lady Jane Stewart. He assumed the surname Douglas at that stage. His succession was disputed by the Duke of Hamilton, Lord Douglas Hamilton and Sir Hew Dalrymple of North Berwick, in what became known as the 'Douglas Cause'. The Court of Session decided against him in 1767 but the decision was reversed in 1769 and finally settled in 1779 by the House of Lords. Douglas became MP for Forfarshire, 1782-1790, and in 1790 was created a peer in the House of Lords with the title Lord Douglas of Douglas. He married first in 1771, Lady Lucy Graham (d 1780), and second, in 1783, Lady Frances Scott (d 1817). He died on 26 December 1827.
The Arctic Leather Goods Company started trading c.1928 as 'Schoolbag and leather goods manufacturers' at 49 Yeaman Shore, Dundee. It was incorporated as a limited company in 1931. In 1950 the company was about to be wound up voluntarily when it was acquired by the Dundee Brattice Cloth and Waterproofing Co Ltd.
Results 101 to 125 of 2421