Showing 2403 resultsNames
The Centre for Medical Education was established in 1972. It was the first such centre in the UK and provides educational support for the Medical School and collaborates within a number of other institutions in the UK and overseas. It is located at Ninewells Hospital, the Medical School and Tay Park House
Geoffrey John Fraser Dutton (1924-2010) was Professor of Pharmacological Biochemistry at the University of Dundee from 1977 until 1983, having joined the Biochemistry Department (at what was the Queen's College, Dundee) in 1954. He became Emeritus Professor in 1983. He was a graduate of the University of Edinburgh and was also a noted poet, gardener and mountaineer. His work in the 1950s uncovered the molecules and enzymes responsible for the human body's main drug and toxin disposal mechanism.
Medical Illustration was responsible for photographing the Medical School and its activites. In 2016 the department transferred from the Medical School to Ninewells
Professor Chris Murray is the first Professor of Comic Studies in the world. He created the Comic Studies program at the University of Dundee and lectures in Comics, Film, and English. He personal comics collection is so large, he built a shed in his garden to house it.
The National Health Service Executive Council was appointed under the National Health Service Act (Scotland) of 1947. It was responsible for the financial administration of the Act in the general medical service and the dental, pharmaceutical, general practice and ophthalmic services. The Dundee, Perth and Kinross and Angus Executive Councils operated as part of a Scottish Association of Executive Councils founded in 1948.
The Eastern Joint Ophthalmic Services Committee consisted of the ophthalmic service committees of Dundee, Angus, Perth and Kinross. From 1948 it was responsible for the financial and practical administration of the ophthalmic service for these three areas, providing eyecare, eye testing and spectacles for individuals and school children.
The Eastern Regional Hospital Board was established in July 1948 in response to the NHS (Scotland) Act. From headquarters in Dundee it managed hospital provisions in the counties of Dundee, Angus, Perth and Kinross. Its services were also used by the North and East Fife hospitals. Following reorganisation in the mid-1970s, it was replaced by the Tayside Health Board. The board consisted of three boards of management, each concerned with one or more hospitals grouped as to type and geographical region.
The Dundee Limb Fitting Centre was opened on 20th September 1965 and occupied "The Lodge", a house built by John Don of William, John Don & Company and which had housed a Red Cross hospital during the First World War and then the Infant Hospital. The Centre was the first special purpose in-patient facility in the United Kingdom to offer a comprehensive, integrated service to amputees. In 1979 the title Tayside Rehabilitation Engineering Services was adopted to embrace the full range of activities at the Centre and its sister unit in Dundee Royal Infirmary. In 1994 the Centre became part of the Dundee Teaching Hospital NHS trust.
Sunnyside Bowling Club was formed on 25th July 1973 and was wound up in 1995.
Dundee Limb Fitting Centre was originally based in Broughty Ferry, founded in 1965 by Professor George Murdoch, who specialised in the study of prosthetics and officially opened by legendary amputee and air ace Sir Douglas Bader. It moved to the Tayside Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technology Centre by Ninewells Hospital in 1999.
The following is copied from the British Medical Journal, volume 311, 14 October 1995 James Walker, emeritus professor of obstetrics and gynaecology, University of Dundee (b 1916; q Glasgow 1938; MRCOG 1947;MD 1954), d 27 June 1995. After the war, in which he served in the RAF, Jimmy Walker became one of the pioneers of fetomaternal medicine, his research at Glasgow forming the basis of his MD thesis. In 1956 he went to a chair of obstetrics and gynaecology at St Andrews (later Dundee), where he remained until he retired in 1981, pioneering cervical screening long before it became a national service. Thereafter he became a professor at Kebangsaan University, Kuala Lumpur, where he helped develop the department of obstetrics and gynaecology. A member and chair of many national and international committees, he chaired the international federation committee of gynaecology and obstetrics on annual reports, records, and definitions of terms in human reproduction, being awarded the distinguished service award at the Montreal conference in 1994. He was awarded the CBE in 1971. He leaves a wife, Cathie, a son (professor of obstetrics at Leeds) and two daughters (both doctors) [Malcolm Macnaughton].
Hillside Home, Perth was founded in 1876 for those suffering with incurable diseases. In 1883, it moved to a site on Dundee Road, Perth and became known as Hillside Home. In 1888 a building was provided for patients suffering from consumption (TB). In 1901 Barnhill Sanatorium in Perth opened. This was probably the building referred to as a new hospital for those with consumption and was built in connection to Hillside. In 1908 the property adjacent to Hillside and accomodation was provided for the treatment of phtisis. Hillside closed in 1997 and was demolished in 2007 to make way for a housing development.
The Dundee Women's Hospital and Nursing Home developed from a dispensary for women and children set up in the 1890s for the treatment of women by female doctors. In May 1897 a small hospital, the Dundee Hospital for Women, was set up in Seafield Road to provide surgical care at a low cost. It later moved to Elliott Road. When the National Health Service Act came into effect in 1948 the Women's Hospital and Nursing Home unsuccessfully petitioned the Secretary of State for permission to keep operating the hospital as a private charitable concern and not as part of the National Health Service. The hospital closed circa 1975.
The Dundee Eye Institution was established in 1836 by Dr Cocks, a practitioner in the city, to provide a free service to those who could not afford ophthalmic treatment. It operated in premises at 84 Murraygate from 1844 to 1892, when it moved to a larger building at 86 Nethergate so that the Institution could expand its work. At first hospital operations were carried out at the Royal Infirmaries in Edinburgh and Glasgow, but in 1892 the Dundee Royal Infirmary established an ophthalmic department which included two four bed wards for Eye Institution patients. After this the Eye Institution confined itself to out-patient work, though it continued to develop links with the Medical School of St Andrews University, which was then situated in Dundee. The Institution closed circa 1975.
Dundee General Hospitals Board of Management was established in 1948 as the body of the National Health Service responsible for running the Dundee Royal Infirmary, the Royal Victoria Hospital, Armistead Convalescent Home, The Bughties, the Constitution Road Clinic, the Deafness Clinic, the Eye Institution, the Infant Hospital, the Orthopaedic and Rheumatic Clinic, the Gerard Cottage Hospital, Kings Cross Hospital, Maryfield Hospital, the Sidlaw Hospital and the Dundee Women's Hospital as well as the Mobile Mass Radiography Unit and the Special Appliance clinic. The first new hospital to be inaugurated under the control of the Board of Management was Ninewells Hospital, which was offically opened in 1974.
Results 76 to 100 of 2403