Showing 2400 resultsNames
Geoffrey John Fraser Dutton (1924-2010) was Professor of Pharmacological Biochemistry at the University of Dundee from 1977 until 1983, having joined the Biochemistry Department (at what was the Queen's College, Dundee) in 1954. He became Emeritus Professor in 1983. He was a graduate of the University of Edinburgh and was also a noted poet, gardener and mountaineer. His work in the 1950s uncovered the molecules and enzymes responsible for the human body's main drug and toxin disposal mechanism.
Medical Illustration was responsible for photographing the Medical School and its activites. In 2016 the department transferred from the Medical School to Ninewells
Professor Chris Murray is the first Professor of Comic Studies in the world. He created the Comic Studies program at the University of Dundee and lectures in Comics, Film, and English. He personal comics collection is so large, he built a shed in his garden to house it.
The National Health Service Executive Council was appointed under the National Health Service Act (Scotland) of 1947. It was responsible for the financial administration of the Act in the general medical service and the dental, pharmaceutical, general practice and ophthalmic services. The Dundee, Perth and Kinross and Angus Executive Councils operated as part of a Scottish Association of Executive Councils founded in 1948.
The Eastern Joint Ophthalmic Services Committee consisted of the ophthalmic service committees of Dundee, Angus, Perth and Kinross. From 1948 it was responsible for the financial and practical administration of the ophthalmic service for these three areas, providing eyecare, eye testing and spectacles for individuals and school children.
The Eastern Regional Hospital Board was established in July 1948 in response to the NHS (Scotland) Act. From headquarters in Dundee it managed hospital provisions in the counties of Dundee, Angus, Perth and Kinross. Its services were also used by the North and East Fife hospitals. Following reorganisation in the mid-1970s, it was replaced by the Tayside Health Board. The board consisted of three boards of management, each concerned with one or more hospitals grouped as to type and geographical region.
The Dundee Limb Fitting Centre was opened on 20th September 1965 and occupied "The Lodge", a house built by John Don of William, John Don & Company and which had housed a Red Cross hospital during the First World War and then the Infant Hospital. The Centre was the first special purpose in-patient facility in the United Kingdom to offer a comprehensive, integrated service to amputees. In 1979 the title Tayside Rehabilitation Engineering Services was adopted to embrace the full range of activities at the Centre and its sister unit in Dundee Royal Infirmary. In 1994 the Centre became part of the Dundee Teaching Hospital NHS trust.
Sunnyside Bowling Club was formed on 25th July 1973 and was wound up in 1995.
Dundee Limb Fitting Centre was originally based in Broughty Ferry, founded in 1965 by Professor George Murdoch, who specialised in the study of prosthetics and officially opened by legendary amputee and air ace Sir Douglas Bader. It moved to the Tayside Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technology Centre by Ninewells Hospital in 1999.
The following is copied from the British Medical Journal, volume 311, 14 October 1995 James Walker, emeritus professor of obstetrics and gynaecology, University of Dundee (b 1916; q Glasgow 1938; MRCOG 1947;MD 1954), d 27 June 1995. After the war, in which he served in the RAF, Jimmy Walker became one of the pioneers of fetomaternal medicine, his research at Glasgow forming the basis of his MD thesis. In 1956 he went to a chair of obstetrics and gynaecology at St Andrews (later Dundee), where he remained until he retired in 1981, pioneering cervical screening long before it became a national service. Thereafter he became a professor at Kebangsaan University, Kuala Lumpur, where he helped develop the department of obstetrics and gynaecology. A member and chair of many national and international committees, he chaired the international federation committee of gynaecology and obstetrics on annual reports, records, and definitions of terms in human reproduction, being awarded the distinguished service award at the Montreal conference in 1994. He was awarded the CBE in 1971. He leaves a wife, Cathie, a son (professor of obstetrics at Leeds) and two daughters (both doctors) [Malcolm Macnaughton].
Hillside Home, Perth was founded in 1876 for those suffering with incurable diseases. In 1883, it moved to a site on Dundee Road, Perth and became known as Hillside Home. In 1888 a building was provided for patients suffering from consumption (TB). In 1901 Barnhill Sanatorium in Perth opened. This was probably the building referred to as a new hospital for those with consumption and was built in connection to Hillside. In 1908 the property adjacent to Hillside and accomodation was provided for the treatment of phtisis. Hillside closed in 1997 and was demolished in 2007 to make way for a housing development.
The Dundee Women's Hospital and Nursing Home developed from a dispensary for women and children set up in the 1890s for the treatment of women by female doctors. In May 1897 a small hospital, the Dundee Hospital for Women, was set up in Seafield Road to provide surgical care at a low cost. It later moved to Elliott Road. When the National Health Service Act came into effect in 1948 the Women's Hospital and Nursing Home unsuccessfully petitioned the Secretary of State for permission to keep operating the hospital as a private charitable concern and not as part of the National Health Service. The hospital closed circa 1975.
The Dundee Eye Institution was established in 1836 by Dr Cocks, a practitioner in the city, to provide a free service to those who could not afford ophthalmic treatment. It operated in premises at 84 Murraygate from 1844 to 1892, when it moved to a larger building at 86 Nethergate so that the Institution could expand its work. At first hospital operations were carried out at the Royal Infirmaries in Edinburgh and Glasgow, but in 1892 the Dundee Royal Infirmary established an ophthalmic department which included two four bed wards for Eye Institution patients. After this the Eye Institution confined itself to out-patient work, though it continued to develop links with the Medical School of St Andrews University, which was then situated in Dundee. The Institution closed circa 1975.
Dundee General Hospitals Board of Management was established in 1948 as the body of the National Health Service responsible for running the Dundee Royal Infirmary, the Royal Victoria Hospital, Armistead Convalescent Home, The Bughties, the Constitution Road Clinic, the Deafness Clinic, the Eye Institution, the Infant Hospital, the Orthopaedic and Rheumatic Clinic, the Gerard Cottage Hospital, Kings Cross Hospital, Maryfield Hospital, the Sidlaw Hospital and the Dundee Women's Hospital as well as the Mobile Mass Radiography Unit and the Special Appliance clinic. The first new hospital to be inaugurated under the control of the Board of Management was Ninewells Hospital, which was offically opened in 1974.
Major General Neil Douglas Wimberley, CB, DSO, MC was the former Commanding Officer of the 51st Highland Division and Commandant of the Army Staff College, Camberley and was appointed Principal of University College Dundee on 1 October 1946. Wimberley was educated at Cambridge before entering Sandhurst. Staff at University College Dundee had experienced strained relations with those of St Andrews in the few years up to 1946 and the appointment of Wimberley served to boost morale. Despite initially enjoying good relations with Principal Irvine of St Andrews, within a year Wimberley was aware that the position UCD held and the regard in which it was held by Principal Irvine. Wimberley began to examine ways in which UCD could exist and at the same time develop within the St Andrews University framework. Whilst Wimberley was in favour of strengthening the financial and position of UCD he did not support any moves for separation of UCD from St Andrews. During Wimberley's tenure, a number of very capable academics joined the staff at Dundee and made concerted efforts to develop the courses and with support from the University College Council, develop the physical structures of campus. The period of examination of the roles of each constituent part of St Andrews University resulted in the Cooper and Tedder reports, both of which involved large scale reorganisation. Queen's College was established in 1954 as a direct result of the findings of a Royal Commission. This reported in April 1952 that the incorporation of University College, Dundee in the University of St Andrews could not continue as it was and made recommendations regarding the restructuring of the two institutions. Wimberley was not considered for the post of Master of Queens College and retired in 1954.
Professor Archibald Duncan Campbell, Professor of Applied Economics at the University of Dundee, was a graduate from the University of Glasgow in 1945 and lectured there from 1945 to 1955. He was appointed as the first incumbent of the Bonar Chair of Applied Economics at Queen's College, Dundee, in 1955 and also became the first Dean of the first Faculty of Social Sciences in a Scottish University. In addition to his academic duties Professor Campbell fulfilled many national functions as a member of a variety of public bodies and investigative committees. This work included his membership of the Fleck Committee on the Fishing Industry in 1959 to 1960 and the Scottish Economic Council 1967-1970. He was also a member of various arbitration bodies of enquiry in labour matters. In recognition of this service he was awarded the CBE in 1972. In 1974 he gave up his Chair and became a full-time Chief Executive with Sidlaw Industries Ltd, the Dundee based textile manufacturers.
Angus MacGillivray, FRSE FSA Scot., was born in 1865 in Abriachan, Invernesshshire. He was educated at Fordyce Academy, and Aberdeen University Between 1889 and 1935 he held varous academic and medical apointments, notably as Lecturer in Ophthalmology at University College, Dundee and founder and surgeon of the Department of Ophthalmology, Dundee Royal Infirmary. MacGillivray died at his home in Crail in 1947
Arthur Alexander Matheson was Emeritus Professor of Scots Law in the University of Dundee. He graduated MA with first-class honours in Classics, and LLB, with distinction, from the University of Edinburgh and became a Classical Exhibitioner at Balliol. He passed advocate in 1944. In 1949, at the age of 29, he was appointed to the newly instituted Chair of Scots Law in University College, Dundee and was the first Dean of the Faculty of Law, created in 1955. From 1958 until 1966 he was Master of Queen's College, Dundee during which time the ground was prepared for the foundation of the University of Dundee in 1967. He retired due to ill health in 1980 and died just before Christmas in 1981.
William Morton Mackay was appointed to University College in 1923 as lecturer in the Department of Electrical Engineering and retired as Senior Lecturer in 1962. He died on 12 November 1971.
Iain Adamson was educated at Morgan Academy, Dundee and at St Andrews University where he studied mathematics. He lectured in mathematics at the University of Belfast, returning to Dundee in 1960 where he was appointed as a lecturer in mathematics in Queen's College. He undertook visiting lectureships to the University of Western Australia in the 1966, 1972 and 1978. Adamson was employed by the University of Dundee as a senior lecturer from c 1978. He retired from the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science in 1993 and published a number of books. He died in 2010.
A. D. Walsh, or Donald Walsh as he was known, was born in Loughborough, Leicestershire, in 1916. Educated at Cambridge he took a PhD in physical chemistry in 1941 and became an ICI fellow. In 1955, after six years as a lecturer and reader in physical chemistry at Leeds University, Walsh took over the chair of chemistry at Queen's College, Dundee. He was well respected for his work on molecular spectroscopy and combustion and his contribution to chemistry was recognised with his election to the Royal Society in 1964. During his time in Dundee he oversaw the expansion of the Chemistry Department and was made Dean of the Faculty of Science when the new University was created in 1967. As his international standing grew Walsh was frequently asked to lecture abroad. Forced to retire in 1976 through ill health, he died in 1977 at the age of sixty.
Professor Adam Patrick was born on the 29 June 1883 and was educated at Greenock Academy and then at the University of Glasgow where he graduated with an MA in 1904 and MB, ChB with Honours in 1908. In 1913 he graduated MD from Glasgow again with Honours and was awarded the Bellahouston Gold Medal for his MD thesis. After completing house posts at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, the Royal Maternity and Women's Hospital, Glasgow, the Glasgow Western Infirmary and Ruchill Infectious Diseases Hospital, he was appointed extra honorary dispensing physician at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children and assistant to the professor of the practice of medicine in the University of Glasgow. During the first world war he served with the RAMC in the Mediterranean area and on his return to Glasgow in 1919 was elected Fellow of the Royal Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. In 1923 he was appointed Professor of Medicine at the University of St. Andrews, based at the medical school in Dundee, and during his professorship he was also visiting physician to Dundee Royal Infirmary and other local hospitals. He also operated a private practice as a consulting physician from his home in Windsor Street, Dundee. His practice mainly covered Angus, Perthshire and Fife, but he also had patients from outwith the area. He was elected FRCP in 1931 and FRCP Ed, in 1942. The Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws of the University of Glasgow was conferred on him in 1948 and that of the University of St. Andrews in 1952. He died on 19 September 1970. Professor Patrick took a deep interest in student life in the University and did much to establish the William Low Residence. In the Eastern Region of Scotland he inaugurated a Consultant Service in Medicine with regular visits to the district hospitals. He retired from the chair in 1950 and was appointed Emeritus Professor of Medicine.
Enid Gauldie, née MacNeilage, was educated at University College Dundee, graduating with an MA in 1947. She then worked for the University Library in St Andrews and for the reference section of Dundee Public Library, before leaving to have children. During this time she occasionally worked part time in the University Library in Dundee. In 1967 Gauldie was awarded a BPhil and went on to become a research assistant in the University's History Department. She remained there until 1970 when she left to have another child. Gauldie has published several books and articles and, in her retirement, opened an antique bookshop in Glendoick, Perthshire.
Andrew McLaren Carstairs was born in India, the son of a missionary, and was educated at George Watson's College and St Andrews University from where he graduated with a first in History and Economics. During the Second World War he worked with British military intelligence, then in 1948 was appointed to a lectureship in Political Economy at St Andrews University. From 1951 until 1965 he lectured in Economic History and then moved to what was then Queen's College Dundee where he was to become Senior Lecturer in Economic History. His research interests included not only economic history but also electoral systems and constitutions. Carstairs was interested in all aspects of University life. He was a sought after chairman for numerous committees and a strong supporter of the rugby club. He retired in 1979 and died in 1990 after a short illness.
Results 76 to 100 of 2400