Showing 2421 results

Names

Anatole De Grunwald; Alex De Grunwald

  • Family
  • 1910-1967, b1940

Anatole De Grunwald (1910-1967) was born in Saint Petersburg, Russia, the son of a diplomat (Constantin de Grunwald) in the service of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia. He was seven years old when his father was forced to flee with his family to France during the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution. Growing up in France and England, he studied at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where he edited a student magazine, The Europa, and attended the University of Paris (Sorbonne).
Anatole started his career in films by reading scripts for Gaumont-British. He then turned to screenwriting in 1939 for the British film industry and eventually became a producer. Anatole was appointed managing director of Two Cities Films, and later formed his own production company with his brother, Dimitri de Grunwald in 1946.
De Grunwald contributed to the scripts of many of his productions, including The Winslow Boy (1948) and The Holly and the Ivy (1952). Most of his films were British productions, although in the 1960s, invited by MGM, he went to the United States where he produced several films, then returned to England for the remainder of his career. Anatole de Grunwald's final films included The V.I.P.s (1963) and The Yellow Rolls-Royce (1965). He worked in close collaboration with the director Anthony Asquith and the dramatist Terence Rattigan, with whom he made many films.

Alexander De Grunwald (b 1944), son of Anatole, worked mainly on the production side of film, most notably as production manager on Flash Gordon, Ghandi, East is East and Marigold

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatole_de_Grunwald

Anderson-Grice Co. Ltd

Anderson-Grice Co. Ltd was founded by George Anderson, the owner of the Arbroath Foundry in Dickfield Street, Arbroath. Anderson's main products related to quarrying which was a major industry in Angus at this time. In around 1886, Anderson began to relocate his business Carnoustie. The new premises were the former Taymouth Linen Works, a larger site and one which was located next to the Dundee and Arbroath Joint Railway. The move was completed by 1898. In 1902 Arthur Grice became a partner in the company. The main products of the company were varieties of cutting machinery, but they also produced a variety of other mechanical devices including cranes and the Dalhousie motor car (1906 to 1910)

Andrew McLaren Carstairs

Andrew McLaren Carstairs was born in India, the son of a missionary, and was educated at George Watson's College and St Andrews University from where he graduated with a first in History and Economics. During the Second World War he worked with British military intelligence, then in 1948 was appointed to a lectureship in Political Economy at St Andrews University. From 1951 until 1965 he lectured in Economic History and then moved to what was then Queen's College Dundee where he was to become Senior Lecturer in Economic History. His research interests included not only economic history but also electoral systems and constitutions. Carstairs was interested in all aspects of University life. He was a sought after chairman for numerous committees and a strong supporter of the rugby club. He retired in 1979 and died in 1990 after a short illness.

Andrew Murray Scott

Andrew Murray Scott is an author, freelance journalist and Scottish National Party councillor, born 1955 in Aberdeen.. He was educated at Dundee High School and Dundee University, where he graduated with a first in MA English and Modern History. Murray Scott was the winner of the inaugural Dundee International Book Prize in 2000 and has since published several books of fiction and non-fiction.

Andy Forrester

Andy Forrester studied at Glasgow university and graduated with an MA hons in History. He is a historian, TV journalist, and business author, and once stood as a candidate for the Labour party He is also an award-winning producer for the BBC and Channel 4.

Andy Stenhouse

Stenhouse was born in 1954, and was first elected to the Scottish Academy of Art and Architecture in 1987. A friend of Haining, he studied sculpture at Duncan of Jordanston Art College and has been based in Aberdeen then Oxford

Angus Jute Co Ltd

Angus Jute Co Ltd was incorporated in 1913 to carry out the business of a Calcutta jute mill. In 1917 the Angus Engineering Works were established as a repair shop to the Angus Jute works and for the supply of spare parts for machinery used in the jute mills. In 1918 the name The Angus Co Ltd was adopted. The Angus Engineering Works were extended in 1922 and commenced the manufacture of textile machinery and in 1961 they were leased to Braithwaite & Co (India) Ltd. Thomas Duff & Co Ltd were appointed as agents to the company in 1933. In 1969, with the formation of the Titaghur Group of companies, the Angus Company Ltd, with its shares already held by companies within the Group, became a subsidiary of the Titaghur Group.
Results 76 to 100 of 2421