Showing 2400 resultsNames
A bookselling, printing, and stationery business was set up in High Street by Thomas Donaldson in 1791, the first such shop in Dundee. Donaldson died in 1827, and in 1830 Frederick Shaw, a former apprentice, purchased the business from Thomas Donaldson's widow. In 1850 William Kidd was taken on as an apprentice, and in 1858 the shop moved to Reform Street. Kidd continued to work there until 1871, when he set up his own shop in Union Street. On his retirement in 1875, Frederick Shaw sold his business, to Kidd, who closed both shops, opening a new one in Nethergate. When, in 1883, Whitehall Street was built, William Kidd erected 'Palace Buildings' there, in which, in 1885, he opened a large new shop with warehouses and workshop.
The company was founded by William Halley, a flax manufacturer who became part owner of Wallace Craigie Works spinning mill, which was built in 1836. The shortage of cotton during the American Civil War resulted in a huge boom in the jute industry and by 1865 Wallace Craigie Works had doubled in size. William Halley's sons became partners in the firm at this time, and the firm became William Halley & Sons. In 1874 William Halley died, his elder son retired, and George Halley became sole proprietor. George Halley, a former Provost of Broughty Ferry died aged 66 in 1904. His sons, Alexander Campbell Halley and James Henderson Halley took over the running of the firm at this time. A. C. Halley left the business on his retirement in 1921 and died in 1944. James Henderson Halley continued in partenership with his son James R. L. Halley. Wallace Craigie Works was used by the firm until c 2004, and was demolished in 2018. From c 2004 the firm had operated from smaller premises Wester Gourdie, and the company later became JWT (Scotland) Ltd.
William Fraser Mitchell was born on 9 April 1900 in Monifieth, Angus the only son of William Fraser Mitchell and Jane Lawson. He was a descendant of William Watson, linen weaver, St Vigeans, who was also the great grandfather of Sir Robert Alexander Watson Watt (1892- ), inventor of the radar. William Fraser first compiled his family history in 1940. This material relates mainly to his mother's family.
William Duncan was an iron-moulder by trade and served his apprenticeship in the Albion Foundry. He was an investigator with Dundee Distress committee for four years before holding a similar position with Dundee Parish Council for three months in 1921. After leaving the Parish Council he returned to his trade as a moulder in the Blackness foundry. His field note book for his months at Dundee Parish Council was transcribed by William M Duncan.
William Duncan compiled notes concerning labour relations and co-operative societies in Dundee, Broughty Ferry and Monifieth for the period c 1790-1940 in 1940-1942.
William Cox (1812-1894) was the second son of James Cock (later Cox) and formed Cox Brothers Ltd as a copartnery with his three brothers, James Cox, Thomas Hunter Cox and George Addison Cox in 1841. A fourth brother, Henry Cox was generally resident in Calcutta to manage business interests there.
The firm was established in 1843 and incorporated as a limited company in 1949.
William Christie was a Blacksmith in Rhynd, near Perth, in the mid 20th century. He also grew fruit on a small acreage and hired out equipment to other fruit growers in the area.
William Brown was the son of James Brown of Cononsyth, Angus, and his wife Mary. James had five children: Andrew (1784-1847), James (1785-1869), John (1790-1848), William (b.1791) and Mary (b.1796). In 1816 three of the brothers, James, John and William, purchased 'East Mill' a flax spinning mill at West Ward, Dundee, about which William wrote his essay and remarks.
William M. Dow (Bill Dow) studied at St Andrews University, and was principal lecturer in Physics and Head of Science at Dundee College of Education (now part of Dundee University). He held a BSc Honours in Physics, an ME in applied maths and was a fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society. He served during World War Two as an RAF Radar Officer on airborne equipment. Bill Dow died in 2013.
Arkley was a timber merchant operating at Caledonia Saw Mills in the mid-19th century
The Panmure Works were constructed in 1857 by James Smieton of the Dundee linen firm of James Smieton & Son, although the industry had already been represented in and around Barry Links prior to that date. Into the new factory went 400 power looms of the most modern type, and with 600 employees the firm soon produced from its Carnoustie branch some six million yards of finished fabric annually. In 1923 the firm changed hands to become the firm Hynd, Smieton & Hynd, and in 1932 was taken over by WG Grant & Co Ltd, Dundee Linen Works, in whose hands it remained until it went into liquidation in 1972.
Results 51 to 75 of 2400