Showing 2397 results

Names

William Fraser Mitchell

  • Person
  • 9 April 1900 -
William Fraser Mitchell was born in Monifieth, Angus, the only son of William Fraser Mitchell and Jane Lawson.
He was a descendant of William Watson, linen weaver, St Vigeans, who was also the great grandfather of Sir Robert Alexander Watson Watt (1892- ), inventor of the radar.
William Fraser first compiled his family history in 1940. This material relates mainly to his mother's family.

William Duncan

William Duncan was an iron-moulder by trade and served his apprenticeship in the Albion Foundry. He was an investigator with Dundee Distress committee for four years before holding a similar position with Dundee Parish Council for three months in 1921. After leaving the Parish Council he returned to his trade as a moulder in the Blackness foundry. His field note book for his months at Dundee Parish Council was transcribed by William M Duncan.

William Duncan

William Duncan compiled notes concerning labour relations and co-operative societies in Dundee, Broughty Ferry and Monifieth for the period c 1790-1940 in 1940-1942.

William Cox

William Cox (1812-1894) was the second son of James Cock (later Cox) and formed Cox Brothers Ltd as a copartnery with his three brothers, James Cox, Thomas Hunter Cox and George Addison Cox in 1841. A fourth brother, Henry Cox was generally resident in Calcutta to manage business interests there.

William C Scott

The firm was established in 1843 and incorporated as a limited company in 1949.

William C Christie

William Christie was a Blacksmith in Rhynd, near Perth, in the mid 20th century. He also grew fruit on a small acreage and hired out equipment to other fruit growers in the area.

William Brown

William Brown was the son of James Brown of Cononsyth, Angus, and his wife Mary. James had five children: Andrew (1784-1847), James (1785-1869), John (1790-1848), William (b.1791) and Mary (b.1796). In 1816 three of the brothers, James, John and William, purchased 'East Mill' a flax spinning mill at West Ward, Dundee, about which William wrote his essay and remarks.

William Arklay

Arkley was a timber merchant operating at Caledonia Saw Mills in the mid-19th century

WG Grant & Co Ltd

The Panmure Works were constructed in 1857 by James Smieton of the Dundee linen firm of James Smieton & Son, although the industry had already been represented in and around Barry Links prior to that date. Into the new factory went 400 power looms of the most modern type, and with 600 employees the firm soon produced from its Carnoustie branch some six million yards of finished fabric annually. In 1923 the firm changed hands to become the firm Hynd, Smieton & Hynd, and in 1932 was taken over by WG Grant & Co Ltd, Dundee Linen Works, in whose hands it remained until it went into liquidation in 1972.
Results 51 to 75 of 2397