Showing 2421 results

Names

Alan Chalmers Lendrum

  • Person
  • 1907-1994
AC Lendrum was born in Midlothian and brought up in Brechin. He was educated at Glasgow High School and Ardrossan Academy then attended Glasgow University from where he graduated MA, MD and BSc.
In 1933 he was appointed assistant to Sir Robert Muir at Western Infirmary, Glasgow, and later became a lecturer in pathology at Glasgow University. From 1947 to 1967 Lendrum was professor of pathology at St Andrews University and became professor at Dundee when the University was created there in 1967.
Lendrum served on several boards and committees in the University until he retired in 1972. Lendrum was a well respected academic and was visiting professor at Yale in 1960. His experiments with staining tissues, in particular, made a significant contribution to the scientific study of disease. An interest in technical matters led to his honorary membership and presidency of the Institute of Medical Laboratory Sciences. A member of many national and international organisations, he was a Founder Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists.
After his retiral he moved with his wife, Elizabeth, to Cumbria. He died in 1994 at the age of eighty-seven and was survived by his second wife, Dr Ann Sandison.

Alan Sharp (1934-2013)

Born in Alyth, Sharp was adopted and raised in Greenock. Leaving school at 14 Sharp did a variety of jobs before moving to London with the intention of writing. In 1965, his screenplay 'A Knight in Tarnished Armour' was broadcast by the BBC. He also published his first novel 'A Green Tree in Gedd'e', which won the Scottish Arts Council Award in 1967 the same year he published 'The Wind Shifts'. Sharp emigrated to the USA where he found critical and popular sucess writing film screenplays, also moving into television in the 1980s and 1990s. His feature film projects included The Osterman Weekend (1982), Rob Roy (1995) and Dean Spanley (2008). Sharp married four times and had a total of six children Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Sharp

Alex Coupar

  • MS 258
  • Person
  • 1932-
Alex Coupar was educated at Dens Road and Morgan Academy. He always wanted to be a photographer and joined DC Thomson after leaving school as a press photographer, eventually specialising in theatre work and the Scots Magazine.
In 1953 he served his National Service with the Royal Air Force School of Photography where he was a publicity photographer. In 1955, Coupar returned to Dundee and DC Thomson and where he worked on news stories and with the Dundee Repertory Theatre, producing production and publicity photographs.
Leaving DC Thomson in 1966, Coupar set up his own studio at 19 South Tay Street, working freelance for the press and for companies like Dundee Rep and Bett Brothers builders (his first clients). Coupar's studio, Spanphoto, became known as one of Scotland's premier photographic firms.
Alex Coupar married Margaret with whom he had a son and daughter. He retired and closed Spanphoto in 2000.

Alex Coupar

Born in 1932 in Dundee, Alex Coupar was educated at Dens Road and Morgan Academy. He always wanted to be a photographer and joined DC Thomson after leaving school as a press photographer, eventually specialising in theatre work and the Scots Magazine. In 1953 he served his National Service with the Royal Air Force School of Photography where he was a publicity photographer. In 1955, Coupar returned to Dundee and DC Thomson and, apart from photgraphs for news stories, worked closely with the Dundee Repertory Theatre, producing production and publicity photgraphs. Leaving DC Thomson in 1966, Coupar set up his own studio at 19 South Tay Street, working freelance for the press and for companies like Dundee Rep and Bett Brothers builders (his first clients). Coupar's studio, Spanphoto, became known as one of Scotland's premier photographic firms. Alex Coupar married Margaret with whom he had a son and daughter. He retired and closed Spanphoto in 2000.

Alex S Davie

Alex S Davie started studying medicine at University College Dundee in 1931 and graduated in 1936. Alex was a doctor then changed his careeer to dentistry. Family say the change came after a serious incident before the War which influenced him. Alex had the dental practice at 121 Nethergate, taken over from his neice's grandfather, also a dentist.

Alexander Burn-Murdoch

Alexander Burn-Murdoch was an Edinburgh solicitor whose hobby was photography, particularly the taking of autochrome stereoscopic slides. He pioneered stereoscopy with Lumière plates and was a member of L'Association de Lumière in 1911. He was born 21 August 1886, the fifth son of John Burn-Murdoch of Gartincaber, Perthshire and Mary Harriet Burn Callander of Prestonhall, Midlothian. Burn-Murdoch was commissioned in the 8th Royal Scots, serving in France and Ireland during WW1. In 1929 he married Aline, the daughter of Rev WJ Macdonald of Kirkaldy and the widow of Cecil Blake. As Writer to the Signet, Burn-Murdoch lived in Edinburgh, but also kept a house at Boat of Garten

Alexander Hannay

Alexander Hannay, portioner, had property in Helensburgh and owned the Prince of Wales Theatre, later known as the Grand Theatre in Cowcaddens, Glasgow. He was father to James Ballantyne Hannay, chemist and innovator. The Prince of Wales Music Hall opened in 1867 and was one of Glasgow's oldest music halls. Following a fire in 1869, a new theatre was built on the site and in 1881 it was refurbished and called the Grand Theatre. It had a capacity of 2,030 and film shows began regularly from 1915. The Grand was taken over in 1909 by Moss Empires Ltd, but was again destroyed by fire in 1989. The New Grand Picture House was then built in its place.

Alexander Henderson & Son Ltd

Alexander Henderson & Son Ltd, Spinners were a jute-spinning firm based in Dundee, Scotland. The company was established in 1833. Their centre of operations was the South Dudhope Works in the city's Smellie's Lane. By 1865 the Works included a mill and a factory, the latter housing some 85 power looms. The company eventually became a subsidiary of Low Brothers & Co (Dundee) Ltd, and was included in that company's amalgamation with Don Brothers, Buist & Co Ltd in 1960.

Alexander Hutcheson

Alexander Hutcheson lived at Herschel House, Broughty Ferry. He was an amateur antiquary and a pioneer in the study of old Scottish song-books.

Alexander P. Stevenson

Alexander P. Stevenson was interested in the naturalist John Ray (1627-1705)

Alexander Shanks & Sons Ltd

The firm of Alexander Shanks & Sons Ltd of Arbroath, engineers, founders and boiler makers, was incorporated in the year 1893. In the same year, the firm purchased Dens Iron Works, manufacturing a wide variety of products including cranes, hoists, pumps and lawnmowers. In the 1960s the firm was taken over by Giddings & Lewis Fraser Ltd, Engineers, Arbroath.

Alexander Thoms

Alexander Thoms, of the Thoms of Clepington family, was the son-in-law of Matthew Forster Heddle (1862-1884), Professor of Chemistry at the University of St Andrews. As a young man Thoms went to Bengal, India, where he remained engaged in estate and plantation business for about thirty years. In 1884 he moved to St Andrews and remained there until his death. He was active in local affairs and a keen supporter of St Andrews Cottage Hospital. In 1884 he was ordained an elder in St Leonard's kirk and was kirk treasurer from 1889-1921. An amateur mineralogist, Thoms presented a valuable collection of stones and minerals to University College, Dundee. He died in 1925 aged 89.
Results 26 to 50 of 2421