Showing 2403 resultsNames
After Morgan Academy and accountancy training with Don & Stewart CA in Dundee, G. Ronald Cameron volunteered for service with the RAFVR with which he had war service in Belgium and Singapore. Following the war he was PA to his father, the sole proprietor of G. M. Cameron, Furniture Manufacturer, Dundee. Consequent upon the latter's death and the later loss of family control, G. Ronald Cameron joined Caird (Dundee) Ltd., Ashton Works, in the quality control and research department as a textile technologist. He also set up a training school for young new weavers included in which they were taught a history of the jute industry. He was also responsible for producing display stands for London exhibitions, which in design embraced the history of the jute industry and the firm's products. The decline of the jute industry in view, he graduated and was a Principal Teacher of economics and accountancy. He was gazetted for lengthy TA service.
Thomas Campbell, poet, was born in Glasgow and educated at the Grammar School and University of his home city. After a brief period as a tutor in Mull, where he learned to love highland scenery, he went to Edinburgh to study law and there began to do miscellaneous literary work for the publishers Mundell & Co. He first gained fame by producing in 1799, at the age of twenty one, his principal poem 'The Pleasures of Hope'. His other longer poems are 'Gertrude of Wyoming' (1809), 'O'Connor's Child' (1809) and 'Theodoric' (1824). During a tour of the continent (1800-1801) Campbell produced some of his best known minor works and war lyrics such as 'Ye Mariners of England'. In addition to poems and lyrics, he also wrote various compilations, including Annals of Great Britain, covering part of the reign of George III and was a distinguished critic. From 1820 to 1830 he was editor of the New Monthly Magazine. After his marriage in 1803, Campbell settled in London, and in 1805 was granted a government pension for life. Around 1824 Campbell began agitating for a London University, the ideal for which was drawn from his visits to the continent, and he was one of the founders of University College. His interest in education as well as his eminence as an author were recognised by the students of Glasgow University, who elected him Lord Rector three times in succession between 1826-1829, the third time over no less a rival than his friend Sir Walter Scott. Campbell was also a great believer in the right of freedom and was a strong supporter of the Polish cause all his adult life. He died in Boulogne and is buried in Westminster Abbey's Poets' Corner.
John Thomson married Jeannie, the daughter of John Watt and A. Dickie while her younger sister, Mary Taylor Watt married James Blackburn, the son of James and Margaret Wilson, in 1922.
Ronald Farquharson, M.I.C.E., B.Sc was a Chartered Civil Engineer who studied at University College, Dundee before graduating from St Andrew's University. He was a member of the University Officer Training Corps (1936-1940). As an officer in the Royal Engineers he served in India, Burma and the Far East during World War II. He was the Resident Engineer for the construction of Queen Elizabeth Wharf at Dundee Harbour in the early 1950s and wrote the history of the Harbour for the 1951 Harbour Handbook. After the completion of Queen Elizabeth Wharf in 1954 (now the site of new housing), Mr Farquharson worked as a consulting engineer. He returned to Dundee Harbour as Port Engineer in 1971 where he remained until his retirement in 1985 at the age of 65. Photographs were taken for strategic purposes during the Cold War and retained by Mr Farquharson as engineer to the Defence Planning Group.
Mr Neil Clark was an employee of ICI for many years. After serving in the Marines during WW2 he returned to ICI initially at Winsford (a salt town) and later at Winnington near Northwich which was the regional headquarters of ICI at that time.
A. S. Cumming was General Manager of J & G Paton Jute/Flax Processing of Montrose. In the 1930s he studied at Dundee Technical College.
Charles Lorimer was an employee of the Northbrook and Kinnison Jute Mill Companies, India.
Items relating to Mr Morris' employment in India
The Bengal Project was initiated by the History Department in 1993, with the purpose of providing a picture of the lives of Scottish people employed in India prior to the 1960's. Project leaders David Swinfen and Chris Whatley invited those with any relevant material to donate the material to the University and also arranged to record the reminsences of those who lived and worked in Bengal.
Item relating to the experience of Scottish workers in the Jute Industry in India
Tayside Regional Council was formed in 1974 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c.65). Under the Act a two tier system of local government was instituted with regional councils responsible for functions including social work, education, electoral registration, roads, valuation and rating, water and sewerage, police, and fire. Regional councils were elected in 1974 and acted as shadow authorities until May 1975, when they assumed full powers. Tayside Regional Council covered an area of 2897 square miles and had a population of almost 400,000. The new region took in, with some boundary changes, the former county councils of Perthshire, Kinross-shire, and Forfarshire, and the City of Dundee. It also inherited the bus undertakings of Dundee, which it went on to own and operate as a limited company under the terms of the Transport Act 1985 (c.67). District councils were responsible for the more local services. The district councils of City of Dundee, Angus and Perth and Kinross administered the remaining council services. Regional councils and district councils were abolished under the Local Government etc (Scotland) Act 1994 (c.39). They were replaced in 1996 by a single-tier local government structure. Some functions, including water and sewerage, taken over in this instance by North of Scotland Water Board and East of Scotland Water Authority, were removed from local government altogether, and arrangements were made for others to be carried out by the successor authorities jointly. Tayside Regional Council was replaced by the unitary councils of Dundee, Angus, and Perth and Kinross.
Several generations of the Smith family were fleshers, and free burgesses and Guild Brothers of Dundee. The most recent member of the family referred to in the documents is George Henderson Smith, who is in one of the photographs of men meeting the Duke of York.
The North Tayside Conservative and Unionist Association was formed in the early 1980s following the creation of the North Tayside Parliamentary Constituency. North Tayside was made up of parts of the former Kinross and West Perthshire, Perth and East Perthshire and South Angus County Constituencies, all three of which had been won by Conservative candidates at the previous general election (1979). The North Tayside Association absorbed several branches from the former Kinross and West Perthshire, Perth and East Perthshire and South Angus Conservative and Unionist Associations. The seat was first contested at the General Election of 1983, and was won by the Conservative candidate Bill Walker (who had been MP for Perth and East Perthshire 1979-1983). Walker held the seat until 1997 when he was defeated by the SNP's John Swinney. The seat was abolished ahead of the 2005 General Election and the Association was dissolved. It was succeeded by Perth and North Perthshire and Angus Conservative and Unionist Associations
The Dundee Institution for the Blind can trace its origin to 1865 when Mr Frances Mollison purchased Dallfield House in order to establish an institution for the blind. In 1869 it finally opened as the Dundee Institution for the Blind and it provided work, support and education for men and women who were blind or partially blind. In 1885 the new building on Magdalen Green was opened and in 1916 it was renamed the Royal Dundee Institution for the Blind. The name was changed again in 1986 to Royal Dundee Blindcraft. The products thus reflecting its increasingly commercial nature. In the 1920s, a Lord Roberts Workshop was established in Dundee to provide employment for disabled ex-servicemen. Although the Lord Roberts Workshop and the Royal Dundee Institution for the Blind both primarily made furniture they were independent from each other until 1993 when they amalgamated. The new company was called Dovetail Enterprises and based itself in a new factory unit in Dunsinane Avenue in the Dunsinane Industrial Estate in Dundee.
Professor John Towers Ward was a lecturer in History at Queen's College, Dundee from 1956 until 1963. He then moved to the soon to be established University of Strathclyde. In 1974 he became the first Professor of Modern History at Strathclyde. He was an expert in labour history and the factory movement and contributed a chapter on Dundee Trade Unionism to the The Third Statistical Account for Scotland:City of Dundee (1979). He died in 1987.
Ronald Paterson Doig was a lecturer in English at Queen's College Dundee and St Andrews University from 1962 until 1982.
The Film Festival was originally the idea of John Burdin as a way of raising funds for the construction of a new bridge at Bachnagarin, Glen Doll, in memory of Roy Tait. The first was held in 1983 and was so successful it became an annual event. In recent years it has been held in the Bonar Hall, Dundee.
Carnoustie Golf Club was formally established in 1842 and is based at what has been described as one of the toughest links courses in the world. Golf is known to have been played at Carnoustie from as early as the 1500s and the club is known to have been in existence for some time before its formal foundation. The club is believed to be among the ten oldest surviving golf clubs in the world. It has produced several first class players and in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century many Carnoustie golfers went to the United States where they became professionals. These included the famed Smith brothers.When the Professional Golfers' Association of America was founded in 1916, nearly half of the 82 professional members were from Carnoustie A golf course was first laid out at Carnoustie in the 1830s by the publisher Robert Chalmers. The current course was designed by Allan Robertson and Old Tom Morris in the 1850s and was modified and extended by Morris in the 1860s and redesigned by James Braid in the 1920s. The course has staged the Open Championships several times including in 1999 when Scotland's Paul Lawrie won one of the most dramatic championships. The clubhouse dates from 1898.
The Buist family were a local family of prominence within the Dundee textile industry, and this material consists of the private and business papers of three generations of this family, the Reverend John Buist, his sons James Jafferson Buist and Alexander Jafferson Buist, his daughter Isabella Buist, and Alexander's son John Charles Buist. The Reverend John Buist was born in Abdie in around 1762 and in 1802 he married Margaret Jafferson and went on to have nine children; he died in 1845. Alexander Jafferson (A. J.) Buist (1818-1901) was born in Tannadice, Forfarshire, As a young man he joined the business of his elder brother James Jafferson Buist (1810-1844) who was engaged in spinning at Ward Mill Dundee The Buist family had strong links to Dundee and the thriving textile industry, indeed Alexander Jafferson Buist was one of the first mill owners to provide a crèche and a school for the children of those who worked in his mills. In 1865, sometime after John James Buist's death, A. J. Buist entered into partnership with William and John Don to form Don Brothers, Buist & Company, a company that still exists today in the form of Don and Low, Forfar . A. J. Buist went on to become a Governor of University College, Dundee, an Elder of the Free Church, a Justice of the Peace, and a Deputy Lieutenant of Dundee. He was also involved in politics as a Unionist. John Charles Buist (1852- 1944) was the son of A. J. Buist and was born on 17th March 1852. He was educated at Merchiston Castle School, Edinburgh before joining Don Brothers, Buist & Company in 1874. He eventually became managing director of that firm, a position he held until his retirement in 1933. Dr Buist was a member of the Council of University College, Dundee, President of Dundee Chamber of Commerce and a Director of Dundee Royal Infirmary for over five decades (being Chairman of the institution on three separate occasions) . He was awarded an LLD by the University of St Andrews in 1925. Like his father he was involved in politics as a Unionist. John Charles Buist married Isabella Watson of Bullionfield, Invergowrie. He died at his home, Balgillo, Broughty Ferry on 27th August 1944.
Results 226 to 250 of 2403