Showing 2412 resultsNames
The British Association for the Advancement of Science was founded in 1831. The Tayside Area Committee was set up in 1960 for the purpose of organising a lecture service for schools in the area. In 1974 following a general re-organisation of the Association and introduction of a new constitution, the Tayside and Fife branch was formed and the Area Committee reconstituted as a Branch Committee. The objects of the Branch, under the terms of its constitution drawn up in 1974, are 'to provide on behalf of the council of the British Association within the Tayside and Fife Regions an inter-disciplinary forum for scientists and technologists; to promote a wider understanding of the problems and achievements of science and technology and their consequences for the nation; especially to encourage young people to take an interest in science by supporting BAYS [British Association Young Scientists]; and to develop the activity of the constituent organs of the British Association towards these ends'. However, after a change in the constitution of the Association, the Branch could no longer function effectively and it wound up in 2019.
The Fund was founded in 1946 to provide a worthy memorial to the nurses, midwives, and auxiliaries of the British Commonwealth who died in the Second World War. The memorial consists of a Nurses' Chapel in Westminster Abbey and a trust fund which awards postgraduate travelling scholarships to nurses and midwives of the Commonwealth.
The British Jute Trade Research Association was established in 1946. Its main functions were to carry out research on all aspects of jute production and processing and to provide assistance to member firms. The British Jute Trade Research Association was not part of the A & S Henry group.
The Dundee and District branch of the British Medical Association was founded in 1894. The branch was split into two divisions, Forfar and Dundee. In 1915 these divisions were amalgamated to form the Dundee branch.
The Scottish National Party was founded in 1932 and has contested elections in Dundee since 1945. In 1974 the SNP's Gordon Wilson was elected MP for the Dundee East constituency, which included Broughty Ferry. The Scottish National Party elected its first councillor in Broughty Ferry in 1984. Since 2007 the SNP has held at least one of the four seats in the Ferry Ward of Dundee City Council, holding two between 2012 and 2017.
The Ladies' Circle was established to offer women between the ages of 18-45 opportunities to socialise, network and serve the community; they held meetings, visits and did work for charity. The first Ladies' Circle met in 1932 in Bournemouth as a social group for wives of members of the Round Table. The Ladies' Circle spread to Demark and Sweden in 1947, which led to the founding of the Ladies' Circle International Organisation in 1958. The club then expanded further in the 1990s, opening its membership to all women. There are 130 Ladies Circles around the UK today (2016). Margaret Coupar was a member of the Broughty Ferry Ladies' Circle from c1973 and was later Chair of the Circle. When she stepped down from the position the Circle slowly went into decline and no longer exists. Source: http://www.ladiescircle.co.uk/
Bruce Mackie OBE served as a councillor for Broughty Ferry on Dundee Town Council from 1966 until 1975. He represented the Barnhill area of Broughty Ferry on the Tayside Regional Council throughout its existence. In 1995 he was elected to Dundee City Council, and remained on that body until his retirement in 2007. During his time as a councillor he held various convenerships and also served as a baillie. He was Chairman of Dundee East Conservative and Unionist Association and the Conservative candidate for Dundee East at the 1997 General Election. He was appointed a Deputy Lieutenant of the City of Dundee in 2000. Bruce Mackie died in February 2015. The group was originally chaired and led by Ian Mackie CBE, a former member of Dundee Town Council (1965-1971 and 1972-1975), who served as regional councillor for Clepington-Maryfield from 1974 until 1986. After Ian Mackie lost his seat in the 1986 election he was succeeded as chair by his brother Bruce. Ian Mackie had held various council convenerships and also served as a bailie. He died in 1991. Tayside Regional Council was formed in 1974, officially coming into operation in 1975, and abolished in 1996. The Conservative Group was constituted in the Queens Hotel, Dundee on 14th May 1974, shortly after the first election to the body. The Conservatives were the largest party on the new council, but did not have a majority and formed a minority administration, although the Conservative nominee for convener, William K. Fitzgerald, the former Lord Provost of Dundee (1970-1973), was defeated for the position on a cut of the cards by the independent councillor Ian A. Duncan Millar after a tied vote. After the 1978 regional council elections the Conservatives gained a majority on the council and Fitzgerald was elected convener, a post he was re-elected to in 1982. At the 1986 election the Conservatives lost several seats and control of the council passed to a minority Labour Party Administration.
Dr Bruce Walker lectured at the School of Architecture at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art. He also worked for Historic Scotland initially as a district architect and then as a technical author. He has published widely on the history of building construction in Scotland. Bruce Walker was the supervisor for the conservation of Cottown Old Schoolhouse, Carse of Gowrie, Perthshire; the project was supported by grants from Historic Scotland. Under Bruce Walker's supervision the project pioneered a revival of traditional Scottish earth building techniques.
Results 226 to 250 of 2412