- 195? -
Showing 22 resultsNames
- 15 March 1915-6 February 1991
He was appointed as an administrator to the Medical School at St Andrews in 1945 and later left to become the Secretary of the University of Southampton. He became Secretary and Registrar of Queen’s College, Dundee in 1966 and continued as Secretary of the University of Dundee from its foundation in 1967 until 1973. It is recognised that he played a major role in its development during the 20th century.
In 1933 he was appointed assistant to Sir Robert Muir at Western Infirmary, Glasgow, and later became a lecturer in pathology at Glasgow University. From 1947 to 1967 Lendrum was professor of pathology at St Andrews University and became professor at Dundee when the University was created there in 1967.
Lendrum served on several boards and committees in the University until he retired in 1972. Lendrum was a well respected academic and was visiting professor at Yale in 1960. His experiments with staining tissues, in particular, made a significant contribution to the scientific study of disease. An interest in technical matters led to his honorary membership and presidency of the Institute of Medical Laboratory Sciences. A member of many national and international organisations, he was a Founder Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists.
After his retiral he moved with his wife, Elizabeth, to Cumbria. He died in 1994 at the age of eighty-seven and was survived by his second wife, Dr Ann Sandison.
- ff 1998
Neil Stewart (1814-1875) was primarily a Botanist and was a member of many learned societies, including the Botanical Society of Edinburgh and excelled as a botanical draughtsman in the illustration of natural history subjects. He executed a large number of botanical drawings for the Botanical classes in the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh and for a number of years was the elected artist to the Botanical Society of Edinburgh, of which he became an Associate in 1850.
William Tennant Gairdner (1824-1907) studied medicine at Edinburgh in the 1840's, gaining good reports and coming to work in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Gairdner applied for the post of pathologist to the ERI in 1848. This meant he became responsible for the "Edinburgh Pathology Register", a series of large leather bound volumes that recorded the findings from every post-mortem examination. Throughout his career he progressed rapidly, from Clerk to Infirmary Pathologist and finally, to Physician. His last appointment was to the Chair of Medicine at Glasgow University, and it was while in this position that he received his Knighthood.
Graduating in 1937, he worked as a Senior House Officer at Harrogate Hospital, moving on to work as a ships surgeon. Returning from this post, he worked at Torbay Hospital before joining the Royal Army Medial Corps. In this post he served in India and the Middle East, reaching the rank of Major.
After the war, Imrie joined with Dr. Venn-Dunn in General Practice in Torquay, now the medical centre at St. Marys. He was also clinical assistant in the Geriatric department at Paignton Hospital, and Newton Abbot Hospital. He was involved in founding Lily Derry Day Hospital at Torbay, and was medical officer to both the Post Office and the Territorial Army.
By 1923 he was in India and from January 1923 to March 1947 he was employed by the Barnagore Factory and the Bally Jute Co., Ltd. In March he was promoted to the executive staff of Jardine Henderson Ltd where he remained until his retirement in 1956.
During his first year in India he was ill; there are no specific details about the illness though a letter he wrote suggests he had been ill for 7 weeks. In the same year he enrolled with The Cossipore Artillery. Between 1930 and 1932 he passed examinations in Hindustani and Bengali. According to his niece, he was also an arbitrator of the Bengal Chamber of Commerce and a commissioner of the Barnigore Municipality, under British Rule.
In 1950 he married Margery Strachan Ross at St Andrew's, Church of Scotland, Calcutta and on his retirement in 1956 he and his wife returned to Broughty Ferry.
- 12 Sept 1876-17 July 1950
James Ernest Cox was the eldest son of Ada Mary Cox and Edward Cox of Cardean and Drumkilbo, Meigle. Educated at a preparatory school and at Uppingham, he then studied at Pembroke College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A.
In 1899 he joined the firm of Messrs Cox Brothers. He became a leading authority in jute and in 1920, when Jute Industries Ltd acquired companies in the city, including Cox Brothers Ltd, he was chairman of the firm. From 1920 until 1948 he was a chairman of Jute Industries Ltd and its subsidiary companies and was a prominent figure in the business and commercial world. Following the death of his father In 1913 he joined the Board of the First, Second and Third Scottish-American Trust Company and the Northern American Trust Company. Later he became chairman of the companies and held these positions, along with that of chairman of the Camperdown Trust Company Ltd, until his resignation in 1947. He was a member of the local board of the Northern Assurance Company Ltd, and an extra-ordinary director of the Scottish Widows' Fund and Life Assurance Society. In 1919 he became president of the Chamber of Commerce and for many years he was a prominent member of the Association of Jute Spinners and Manufacturers.
In 1906 he became a member of the Council of University College, Dundee. Later he was appointed convener of the finance committee and in 1926 was appointed chairman of the council. In 1931 his services to the university were recognised when he received the honorary degree of LL.D. in 1931. He resigned from the chairmanship in 1939, and three years later was elected president of the College, a position he held for until 1946.
In 1934 he was appointed by the Scottish Secretary to the Committee on Scottish Health Services, established to review the entire national health policy and organisation in Scotland. JE Cox served for six years as a director of Dundee Royal Infirmary and wad also vice-president of the Royal Victoria Hospital. He was a General Commissioner of Income Tax for the Division of Dundee.
Dr Cox lived at Lyndhurst, Lochee prior to purchasing Methven Castle in 1922. The estate, of almost 1000 acres, comprised the mansion-house; policies and woodland; the home farm; and the farms of Easter Busby, Loanleven, and Easter, Middle and Wester Powside. He had an interest in agriculture, particularly pig breeding and won prizes at many shows, including several at the Royal Highland Show. He was also president of Methven Curling Club. While resident in Dundee Dr Cox was identified with St Margaret's Episcopal Church but after the purchase of Methven, he was prominently associated with St Ninian's Cathedral, Perth, being treasurer of the Diocese of Brechin for 25 years.
He married Agnes Jane Tod in 1904. His wife, three sons, Commander David E. Cox, Michael George Cox and Douglas Hunter Cox and a daughter, Margot Cox, survived him. His first born son, Edward James Cox, had been killed in a motorcycle accident in 1925. A daughter Kathleen Mary Cox was born and died in 1911.
- ff 1969-
Helen trained as a teacher at Dundee Training College, graduating in 1917. She worked as a teacher in Durham where she met and married William Parker, and had two children.
Her latter years were spent in Hampshire, where she had moved to be near her daughter.
George Mason is currently (2006) a janitor at the University of Dundee.
Eddie was a historian, playwright, Creative Writing tutor and Public Engagement Officer for the University of Dundee's School of Humanities. He was a well-known face in Dundee literary circles and wrote the play 'The Four Marys' as well as the books 'Mary Lily Walker: The Forgotten Visionary of Dundee' and 'To Bodies Gone', the latter of which saw Eddie research the history of death in Scotland, with an emphasis on practices and rituals surrounding bereavement. He twice won the Stephen Fry award for public engagement, and was voted the 2016 Inspirational Teaching Award winner by the University’s student body. He was also well-known for his very popular tours of the city.
Eddie was born at Dundee Royal Infirmary, grew up in Kirkton and attended West March Primary School and Kirkton High. He had a variety of jobs before gaining his degree and joining the University of Dundee
- ff 2003-2006
- ff 2007
- 11 November 1908-5 November 1980
After 1947, Cox and his wife, Mary Aileen Musgrove with whom he had two children, Jane and Edward, lived in South Africa, Rhodesia and Malta, then settled in Guernsey in 1972
During his retirement Commander Cox sailed his boats, 'Ninga' and 'Scottish Simo' through the French canals, across the Ionian and Adriatic seas, and throughout the Mediterranean from his base in Malta.
'Sleepy People', the subject of the photographs, were a college band made up of architecture students who played at Art College ' hops'.
- MS 258
In 1953 he served his National Service with the Royal Air Force School of Photography where he was a publicity photographer. In 1955, Coupar returned to Dundee and DC Thomson and where he worked on news stories and with the Dundee Repertory Theatre, producing production and publicity photographs.
Leaving DC Thomson in 1966, Coupar set up his own studio at 19 South Tay Street, working freelance for the press and for companies like Dundee Rep and Bett Brothers builders (his first clients). Coupar's studio, Spanphoto, became known as one of Scotland's premier photographic firms.
Alex Coupar married Margaret with whom he had a son and daughter. He retired and closed Spanphoto in 2000.
In 1965, his screenplay 'A Knight in Tarnished Armour' was broadcast by the BBC. He also published his first novel 'A Green Tree in Gedd'e', which won the Scottish Arts Council Award in 1967, the same year he published 'The Wind Shifts'.
Sharp emigrated to the USA where he found critical and popular success writing film screenplays, also moving into television in the 1980s and 1990s. His feature film projects included The Osterman Weekend (1982), Rob Roy (1995) and Dean Spanley (2008).
Sharp married four times and had a total of six children