Showing 13 results

Names
Person

Alan Chalmers Lendrum

  • Person
  • 1907-1994
AC Lendrum was born in Midlothian and brought up in Brechin. He was educated at Glasgow High School and Ardrossan Academy then attended Glasgow University from where he graduated MA, MD and BSc.
In 1933 he was appointed assistant to Sir Robert Muir at Western Infirmary, Glasgow, and later became a lecturer in pathology at Glasgow University. From 1947 to 1967 Lendrum was professor of pathology at St Andrews University and became professor at Dundee when the University was created there in 1967.
Lendrum served on several boards and committees in the University until he retired in 1972. Lendrum was a well respected academic and was visiting professor at Yale in 1960. His experiments with staining tissues, in particular, made a significant contribution to the scientific study of disease. An interest in technical matters led to his honorary membership and presidency of the Institute of Medical Laboratory Sciences. A member of many national and international organisations, he was a Founder Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists.
After his retiral he moved with his wife, Elizabeth, to Cumbria. He died in 1994 at the age of eighty-seven and was survived by his second wife, Dr Ann Sandison.

Alex Coupar

  • MS 258
  • Person
  • 1932-
Alex Coupar was educated at Dens Road and Morgan Academy. He always wanted to be a photographer and joined DC Thomson after leaving school as a press photographer, eventually specialising in theatre work and the Scots Magazine.
In 1953 he served his National Service with the Royal Air Force School of Photography where he was a publicity photographer. In 1955, Coupar returned to Dundee and DC Thomson and where he worked on news stories and with the Dundee Repertory Theatre, producing production and publicity photographs.
Leaving DC Thomson in 1966, Coupar set up his own studio at 19 South Tay Street, working freelance for the press and for companies like Dundee Rep and Bett Brothers builders (his first clients). Coupar's studio, Spanphoto, became known as one of Scotland's premier photographic firms.
Alex Coupar married Margaret with whom he had a son and daughter. He retired and closed Spanphoto in 2000.

Bert Barnett

  • Person
Bert Barnett studied architecture at the Art College, Dundee, from 1964-1970, repeating years two and five of his course. Bert has spent most of his career as an architectural assistant, working with Ric Russell, partner in Nicoll Russell architects, who features in many of the photographs, and with local authorities. Latterly, he worked for an architect's firm in Blairgowrie, Perthshire.
'Sleepy People', the subject of the photographs, were a college band made up of architecture students who played at Art College ' hops'.

David Ernest Cox

  • Person
  • 11 November 1908-5 November 1980
David Ernest Cox, the son of James Ernest and Agnes Jane Cox, was born in Lochee. His early education was at Stanmore Park, Middlesex, from which he entered Dartmouth Naval College as a cadet in 1922. As a Sub-Lieutenant he was present at the evacuation of Nankin in 1927. He was appointed Midshipman in 1928 and while returning from China, his ship, HMS Enterprise, was joined by the Prince of Wales at Dar-es-Salaam, who was rushing home from East Africa to see the King on his sick-bed. David served as a Commander in the Royal Navy until 1947.
After 1947, Cox and his wife, Mary Aileen Musgrove with whom he had two children, Jane and Edward, lived in South Africa, Rhodesia and Malta, then settled in Guernsey in 1972
During his retirement Commander Cox sailed his boats, 'Ninga' and 'Scottish Simo' through the French canals, across the Ionian and Adriatic seas, and throughout the Mediterranean from his base in Malta.

Dr James Rorie

  • Person
  • 1838-1911
James Rorie was 4 April 1838 in Arbroath and educated at Arbroath Academy. In 1855 he began studying at Edinburgh University as a medical student graduating in 1859 as a Doctor of Medicine. In the same year he also received a diploma from the Royal College of Surgeons. He then began working in the old Dundee Asylum and was appointed Superintendent in 1860. Throughout his life Dr Rorie was an important member of the Glasite Church and in 1872 married Margaret Baxter with whom he raised a family. He was later involved in the building of the new asylum at Westgreen, Liff which eventually became the Royal Dundee Liff Hospital. In 1891 Dr Rorie was appointed lecturer on Mental Diseases in the Medical Department at Dundee University College. He died in 1911.

Eddie Small

  • Person
  • 1951-2020

Eddie was a historian, playwright, Creative Writing tutor and Public Engagement Officer for the University of Dundee's School of Humanities. He was a well-known face in Dundee literary circles and wrote the play 'The Four Marys' as well as the books 'Mary Lily Walker: The Forgotten Visionary of Dundee' and 'To Bodies Gone', the latter of which saw Eddie research the history of death in Scotland, with an emphasis on practices and rituals surrounding bereavement. He twice won the Stephen Fry award for public engagement, and was voted the 2016 Inspirational Teaching Award winner by the University’s student body. He was also well-known for his very popular tours of the city.
Eddie was born at Dundee Royal Infirmary, grew up in Kirkton and attended West March Primary School and Kirkton High. He had a variety of jobs before gaining his degree and joining the University of Dundee

Sources:
https://www.dundee.ac.uk/stories/eddie-small-memoriam
https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/tributes-flood-in-for-one-of-the-citys-great-sons-eddie-small/

Helen Gill Parker (nee Irons)

  • Person
  • 1897-1969
Helen Irons was born in Perth, the eldest of four children. The family moved to Forfar where her railwayman father, William Irons, worked as the Station Foreman. Her Mother, Margaret Gill, was from Dundee.
Helen trained as a teacher at Dundee Training College, graduating in 1917. She worked as a teacher in Durham where she met and married William Parker, and had two children.
Her latter years were spent in Hampshire, where she had moved to be near her daughter.
Source: granddaughter

Iain DM Wright

  • Person
  • ff 1969-
Iain Wright studied Geography at University of Dundee, graduating MA Hons in 1973. and with MPhil in 1978. Wright has been a member of the University Court between 2001-2005 and 2007-2015

James Ernest Cox

  • Person
  • 12 Sept 1876-17 July 1950

James Ernest Cox was the eldest son of Ada Mary Cox and Edward Cox of Cardean and Drumkilbo, Meigle. Educated at a preparatory school and at Uppingham, he then studied at Pembroke College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A.

In 1899 he joined the firm of Messrs Cox Brothers. He became a leading authority in jute and in 1920, when Jute Industries Ltd acquired companies in the city, including Cox Brothers Ltd, he was chairman of the firm. From 1920 until 1948 he was a chairman of Jute Industries Ltd and its subsidiary companies and was a prominent figure in the business and commercial world. Following the death of his father In 1913 he joined the Board of the First, Second and Third Scottish-American Trust Company and the Northern American Trust Company. Later he became chairman of the companies and held these positions, along with that of chairman of the Camperdown Trust Company Ltd, until his resignation in 1947. He was a member of the local board of the Northern Assurance Company Ltd, and an extra-ordinary director of the Scottish Widows' Fund and Life Assurance Society. In 1919 he became president of the Chamber of Commerce and for many years he was a prominent member of the Association of Jute Spinners and Manufacturers.

In 1906 he became a member of the Council of University College, Dundee. Later he was appointed convener of the finance committee and in 1926 was appointed chairman of the council. In 1931 his services to the university were recognised when he received the honorary degree of LL.D. in 1931. He resigned from the chairmanship in 1939, and three years later was elected president of the College, a position he held for until 1946.

In 1934 he was appointed by the Scottish Secretary to the Committee on Scottish Health Services, established to review the entire national health policy and organisation in Scotland. JE Cox served for six years as a director of Dundee Royal Infirmary and wad also vice-president of the Royal Victoria Hospital. He was a General Commissioner of Income Tax for the Division of Dundee.

Dr Cox lived at Lyndhurst, Lochee prior to purchasing Methven Castle in 1922. The estate, of almost 1000 acres, comprised the mansion-house; policies and woodland; the home farm; and the farms of Easter Busby, Loanleven, and Easter, Middle and Wester Powside. He had an interest in agriculture, particularly pig breeding and won prizes at many shows, including several at the Royal Highland Show. He was also president of Methven Curling Club. While resident in Dundee Dr Cox was identified with St Margaret's Episcopal Church but after the purchase of Methven, he was prominently associated with St Ninian's Cathedral, Perth, being treasurer of the Diocese of Brechin for 25 years.

He married Agnes Jane Tod in 1904. His wife, three sons, Commander David E. Cox, Michael George Cox and Douglas Hunter Cox and a daughter, Margot Cox, survived him. His first born son, Edward James Cox, had been killed in a motorcycle accident in 1925. A daughter Kathleen Mary Cox was born and died in 1911.

Neil Stewart and William Tennant Gairdner

  • Person
  • 1814-1907

Neil Stewart (1814-1875) was primarily a Botanist and was a member of many learned societies, including the Botanical Society of Edinburgh and excelled as a botanical draughtsman in the illustration of natural history subjects. He executed a large number of botanical drawings for the Botanical classes in the Universities of Glasgow and Edinburgh and for a number of years was the elected artist to the Botanical Society of Edinburgh, of which he became an Associate in 1850.

William Tennant Gairdner (1824-1907) studied medicine at Edinburgh in the 1840's, gaining good reports and coming to work in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Gairdner applied for the post of pathologist to the ERI in 1848. This meant he became responsible for the "Edinburgh Pathology Register", a series of large leather bound volumes that recorded the findings from every post-mortem examination. Throughout his career he progressed rapidly, from Clerk to Infirmary Pathologist and finally, to Physician. His last appointment was to the Chair of Medicine at Glasgow University, and it was while in this position that he received his Knighthood.

Patrick Sandeman

  • Person
  • 1862-c1950
Sandeman was an elder of the Glasite Church in Glasgow c 1920s until his death.

Paul Herbert

  • Person
  • ff 1998
Herbert was a history student at Dundee University. In 1998 he attended the Sources and Methods class in the Archives.

Roger Leitch

  • Person
  • 195? -
Ethnologist Roger Leitch started making fieldwork recordings as an undergraduate at the University of Edinburgh in the early 1980s. As a graduate, he worked with the School of Scottish Studies. He has recorded and transcribed interviews with people living in the Highlands and Islands, people involved in seasonal work and the travelling community