Showing 69 results

Names
Corporate body

Visual Research Centre

  • Corporate body
  • 1999-

The Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design Visual Research Centre (VRC) was based at Dundee Contemporary Arts until 2018. The Visual Research Centre is a unique facility dedicated to visual arts research from initial concepts to final exposition. Through an exciting portfolio of projects, VRC provides a platform for debate around cultural production and is a crucial DJCAD resource for revealing and disseminating research. At the heart of the VRC is Centrespace, an experimental flexible studio/gallery where research outcomes can be given their first public airing. VRC also houses the Centre for Artists Books and Visual Publishing, a unique artists' book collection and specialist printing production facility. The Rewind research project archive, which has conserved early British video art, can be viewed in the Rewind Microcinema. VRC is also home to DJCAD's PhD community.

IMPACT 8 was chaired by Prof Elaine Shemilt, Chair of Fine Art Printmaking at DJCAD, was held at Dundee in conjunction with the first Print Festival Scotland which ran from 23rd August to 1st September 2013

Source: https://www.dundee.ac.uk/cooper-gallery/aboutus/centrespace/
See also http://www.conf.dundee.ac.uk/impact8/home/

University Of Dundee, Medical Illustration

  • Corporate body
  • fl 1960s-
Medical Illustration was responsible for photographing the Medical School and its activites. In 2016 the department transferred from the Medical School to Ninewells

University Of Dundee, Alumni & Development

  • Corporate body
The Alumni & Development office helps alumni stay in touch with one another and with the University. It is in contact with nearly 60,000 Dundee graduates in more than 100 countries. The alumni support the University in many ways, from generously donating their time and expertise to making gifts, which change lives and this can all be done through Dundee-Reunited.

University of Dundee Ladies' Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1928-
The University of Dundee Ladies' Club held its inaugral meeting on 25 October 1928. Originally known as Dundee University College Tea Club it was later known as Queen's College Ladies' Tea Club. Formed for the relatives and wives of University staff the club organised social events, talks and lectures. In 2003 it celebrated its 75th anniversary.

University of Dundee 1967 Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1967
The University hosted the dinner as a fundraiser for Robertson Trust Scholars. The invitation to high-profile alumni came from Lord George Robertson and the event was sponsored by George and Jean Baird.
The Robertson Trust was established in 1961 by the Robertson sisters Elspeth, Agnes and Ethel, who donated their shares in the family businesses, built up by their grandfather and father, to the Trust for charitable purposes. The sisters were among the first Trustees, serving for a combined total of 71 years and ensuring the Trust upheld the principles at the heart of the family: honesty, integrity and a willingness to help people in need. The family business now operates as the global company Edrington – one of Scotland’s largest private companies and owner of several well-known whisky brands. The sisters’ generosity enables the Trust to use the dividends from its controlling shareholding in Edrington for the benefit of Scotland’s people and communities.

Unison Trade Union

  • Corporate body
  • 1993-
UNISON is the UK’s largest union. They represent full-time and part-time staff who provide public services, although they may be employed in both the public and private sectors.

The Scrimgeour Clan Association

  • Corporate body
  • 1971-

The Scrimgeour Clan association was formed in 1971 with the intention, as identified in the Clan constitution, as amongst other things, of 'the cultivation and preservation of records and traditions bearing on the history of the Clan' and the protection of the lands and property associated with the Clan particularly to secure the suitable use of Dudhope Castle as a permanent token of the Clan's centuries of common history with the city of Dundee.'

The Clan itself has a long history going back to 1107, when Sir Alexander Carron was first granted the name of 'Skirmisher' (meaning 'hardy fighter', although it has been suggested that it could be from 'escimeur' French for 'swordsman') along with the hereditary title of Royal Standard (or Banner) Bearer. Under William Wallace's guardianship of the realm this was added to with the gift of lands in Angus and the bestowing of the Constableship of the castle of Dundee. During the Seventeenth Century the then Clan Chief was made Viscount of Dudhope, and after the Restoration the Earldom of Dundee was granted to the then Viscount, only for the line to appear to run out upon his death. This was later to be proved incorrect when Henry James Scrymgeour-Wedderburn petitioned Parliament in the 1970s for the restoration of the title and successfully brought the Earldom back into Scrimgeour hands.

Unfortunately he was not successful in winning back the lands associated with the title, but the Clan Association are strongly committed to maintaining links with their former properties, with a major aim being the restoration of Dudhope Castle (built by the Scrymgeour family in the 13th Century) and the establishment of a dedicated Scrymgeour room within the Castle for the use of the Clan Association.

The castle has changed hands many times, being initially the seat of the Scrymgeours, it was passed to the Maitlands, prior to being sold to John Graham of Claverhouse ('Bonnie Dundee') and then passed to the Douglas family. From then on the castle had a number of uses, being acquired by the local council in 1854, from recreational to being used as an army barracks, before eventually being acquired by the University of Abertay,
See also http://www.scrimgeourclan.org.uk/

The Matador Land and Cattle Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1878-
The Matador Land and Cattle Company had its beginning in 1878, when a Texas cattleman, Henry H. (Hank) Campbell, took a herd of longhorn cattle to Chicago and sold them for a handsome profit. Following the sale, Campbell entered into a partnership with A. M. Britton, a banker, and returned to Texas to acquire a range, purchase cattle, and establish a ranch. The presence of venture capital in Great Britain during the last quarter of the nineteenth century led Britton to Scotland in 1882. There, in Dundee, he succeeded in arousing the interest of a group of businessmen who were eager to invest their funds in American mines, lumber, land, or cattle. Led by several Dundee merchants, the Scots incorporated the Matador Land and Cattle Company, Limited, a joint-stock company, and agreed to purchase the Texas properties.

The Department Of Epidemiology And Public Health

  • Corporate body
  • 1950s -
The Department of Epidemiology and Public Health is based at Ninewells Hospital and Medical School. The department aims to improve the health of communities through teaching and research. During the 1950s and 1960s it was known as the Department of Public Health and Social Medicine, by 1970 it was the Department of Social and Occupational Medicine, and later it changed its name to the Department of Community and Occupational Medicine. The collection is made up of teaching materials and items from the departmental library.

The Brittle Bone Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1968 - Present
The Brittle Bone Society (BBS) was founded in Dundee in 1968 by Margaret Grant and is the only UK-wide charity organisation set up to provide support to people affected by the bone condition, Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI). The Society works closely with specialist medical units and other professionals from across the United Kingdom, plays a crucial role in promoting research into the condition and offers practical support, advice and encouragement to patients and their relatives. The Society continues to operate from its Dundee headquarters and currently has a membership in the region of 1000.

The Alliance Trust

  • Corporate body
  • 1888-

The Alliance Trust was formed in 1888 by the merger of the Dundee Investment Company, the Dundee Mortgage and Trust, the Oregon and Washington Trust and the Oregon and Washington Savings Bank, Limited. The firm initially operated from office in Panmure Street, later moving to offices in Meadowside and then to Meadow House in Reform Street.
Many prominent figures in Dundee and Angus invested some of their money in the Alliance Trust and its predecessors, including land owners, merchants, ship owners, ship builders, textile manufacturers and businessman including the Earl of Airlie and Sir John Leng.
From 1918 the firm shared its premises and most of its operations with the Western & Hawaiian Investment Company which was eventually renamed the Second Alliance Trust. Although in practice this was effectively a merger, the two companies remained legally distinct entities until 2006 when a full merger took place.
For most of their early existence the two Alliance Trusts' main interests were focused on the mortgage and land business, which was centred on agricultural areas of the western United States (especially Oregon, Idaho and Texas) and Hawaii. The company also established a successful business leasing mineral rights of properties in Texas and Oklahoma to prospectors, as well as investing in a number of other ventures in the UK and further afield.

From 2008 until 2011 it was listed on the FTSE 100 index. In the 2000s the company left Reform Street and moved to new purpose built premises in West Marketgait, from which they removed in 2019

Tayside Regional Council Conservative Group

  • Corporate body
  • 1974-1996
The Conservative Group was constituted in the Queens Hotel, Dundee on 14th May 1974, shortly after the first election to the new Tayside Regional Council The Conservatives were the largest party on the new council, but did not have a majority and formed a minority administration, although the Conservative nominee for convener, William K. Fitzgerald, the former Lord Provost of Dundee (1970-1973), was defeated for the position on a cut of the cards by the independent councillor Ian A. Duncan Millar after a tied vote.
After the 1978 regional council elections the Conservatives gained a majority on the council and Fitzgerald was elected convener, a post he was re-elected to in 1982. At the 1986 election the Conservatives lost several seats and control of the council passed to a minority Labour Party Administration.
The group was originally chaired and led by Ian Mackie CBE, a former member of Dundee Town Council (1965-1971 and 1972-1975), who served as regional councillor for Clepington-Maryfield from 1974 until 1986. After Ian Mackie lost his seat in the 1986 election he was succeeded as chair by his brother Bruce. Ian Mackie had held various council convenerships and also served as a bailie. He died in 1991.
Bruce Mackie OBE served as a councillor for Broughty Ferry on Dundee Town Council from 1966 until 1975. He represented the Barnhill area of Broughty Ferry on the Regional Council throughout its existence. In 1995 he was elected to Dundee City Council, and remained on that body until his retirement in 2007. During his time as a councillor he held various convenerships and also served as a bailie. He was Chairman of Dundee East Conservative Association and the Conservative candidate for Dundee East at the 1997 General Election.

Tayside Regional Council

  • Corporate body
  • 1974-1996
Tayside Regional Council was formed in 1974 under the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c.65). Under the Act a two tier system of local government was instituted with regional councils responsible for functions including social work, education, electoral registration, roads, valuation and rating, water and sewerage, police, and fire. Regional councils were elected in 1974 and acted as shadow authorities until May 1975, when they assumed full powers. Tayside Regional Council covered an area of 2897 square miles and had a population of almost 400,000. The new region took in, with some boundary changes, the former county councils of Perthshire, Kinross-shire, and Forfarshire, and the City of Dundee. It also inherited the bus undertakings of Dundee, which it went on to own and operate as a limited company under the terms of the Transport Act 1985 (c.67). District councils were responsible for the more local services. The district councils of City of Dundee, Angus and Perth and Kinross administered the remaining council services. Regional councils and district councils were abolished under the Local Government etc (Scotland) Act 1994 (c.39). They were replaced in 1996 by a single-tier local government structure. Some functions, including water and sewerage, taken over in this instance by North of Scotland Water Board and East of Scotland Water Authority, were removed from local government altogether, and arrangements were made for others to be carried out by the successor authorities jointly. Tayside Regional Council was replaced by the unitary councils of Dundee, Angus, and Perth and Kinross.

Tayside Orthopaedic Rehabilitation Engineering Services

  • Corporate body
  • 1965-1999
The Dundee Limb Fitting Centre was opened on 20th September 1965 and occupied "The Lodge", a house built by John Don of William, John Don & Company and which had housed a Red Cross hospital during the First World War and then the Infant Hospital. The Centre was the first special purpose in-patient facility in the United Kingdom to offer a comprehensive, integrated service to amputees. In 1979 the title Tayside Orthopaedic Rehabilitation Engineering Services was adopted to embrace the full range of activities at the Centre and its sister unit in Dundee Royal Infirmary. In 1994 the Centre became part of the Dundee Teaching Hospital NHS trust.

Taylor & Skinner

  • Corporate body
  • fl 18th century
George Taylor and Andrew Skinner were originally surveyors in Aberdeen before their work took them to Ireland and then America. Their 'Survey' was considered the most reliable road map well into the 18th century. Despite this the map never brought the authors any profits, Taylor and Skinner reported half of the 3 000 printed copies unsold in 1778 and therefore they still had debts to pay

Tay Estuary Forum

  • Corporate body
  • 2005-
The Tay Estuary Forum brings together organisations and individuals with a common interest in the welfare and sustainable use of the Tay Estuary and adjacent coastline, from the River North Esk on the Angus coastline, to Fife Ness, including the Tay Estuary to its tidal limit at Scone. A Steering Group, comprising representatives from key organisations that operate within the region, meet regularly to manage the direction and progression of the work of the Forum, and a Secretariat based at the University of Dundee, takes care of the day-to-day business.
Forum discussions, which relate to various themes on coastal and marine management, range from Water Quality, Fishing, Sustainable Economic Development, Recreation, Nature Conservation and Education. The Forum hopes that through improved co-ordination and communication between these diverse interests and users, future conflicts within the coastal zone can be minimised and that management will progress towards a common vision for the coast of east central Scotland.
The TEF is currently funded by contributions from its Steering Group and Marine Scotland
Source: tayestuary.org.uk 09/08/2018

Sunnyside Staff Social & Recreational Club

  • Corporate body
  • c1982-2011
The Sunnyside Staff Social & Recreational Club was a members club run by staff from the Sunnyside Royal Hospital.
Club records start with meeting minutes from 1982 with the clubhouse being opened in 1985 after renovations. The club house was located at the Sunnyside House, Hillside.

Sunnyside Royal Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1781-2011
The Montrose Lunatic Asylum, Infirmary and Dispensary was founded in 1781 by Mrs. Susan Carnegie of Charleton for the treatment of private and pauper patients, and was the first mental hospital in Scotland. It was built on the Montrose Links on a site bounded by Barrack Road, Ferry Road and Garrison Road and was granted a Royal Charter in 1810.
A new improved Asylum with better facilities was completed in 1858, situated on lands of Sunnyside farm, in the village of Hillside, on the outskirts of Montrose. Carnegie House was built for private patients in 1899. In 1913 the Royal Charter was amended, after which it was renamed the Royal Asylum of Montrose and that part of the Institution which consisted of the Infirmary and Dispensary was disjoined and received its own Royal Charter.
However, overcrowding was a problem with patient numbers reaching 670 by 1900, precipitating the need for further accommodation. As a result, Howden Villa was completed in 1901 and Northesk Villa was completed in 1904. Westmount Cottages were built in 1905 to house the extra staff required to care of the additional patients. The lease of Sunnyside Farm expired in 1911 and over 52 acres were purchased for the sum of £4500. Angus House was built in 1939 to accommodate elderly patients suffering from dementia.
With the advent of the National Health Service in 1948, the Asylum was renamed the Royal Mental Hospital of Montrose and came under the jurisdiction of the Eastern Regional Hospital Board. It was again renamed in 1962, when it became Sunnyside Royal Hospital. When Sunnyside celebrated its bicentenary in 1981, the number of patients was approximately 400. The hospital closed in 2011. Many of its patients and functions were transferred to the newly opened Susan Carnegie Centre at Stracathro Hospital, Angus.

Strathmartine Hospital (Baldovan Institute)

  • Corporate body
  • 1852-2003
Baldovan Institution was founded in 1852, mainly through the benevolence of Sir John and Lady Jane Ogilvy and from voluntary contributions and fees. It was established on the north bank of the Dighty as an orphanage, hospital and place of education and training for 'imbecile' children, accommodating 30 children. As such it was the first hospital of its kind in Scotland and the second in Britain. The Orphanage opened on 30th November 1854 and the Asylum opened on 6th January 1855. In 1856 it's name was changed to Baldovan Asylum and it expanded it's operations after it received it's licence under the Lunacy Act of 1858, which legalised it's function as a home for children. It was found that contact with 'imbeciles' had a detrimental effect upon the orphans and so in 1867 the Orphanage moved to other premises and the Baldovan Asylum concentrated its efforts on the care and education of mentally handicapped children. By 1879 the number of children accommodated at the Asylum had increased to 70 and the site where the Administrative block now stands was acquired. By 1904 the Main Building wards were built and occupied by 160 children. The Mental Deficiency (Scotland) Act was passed in 1913, providing state supervision of mental defectives, which led to an increased demand for accommodation at Institutions like Baldovan. Between 1904 and 1932 further developments included another ward, staff residency, school facilities, a large Recreation Hall as well as occupational therapy and training in domestic, farm and garden work. In 1925 the Baldovan Institution Confirmation Act sanctioned the trustees to form an Incorporation with the counties of Aberdeen, Forfar (Angus), Kincardine and Perth to undertake the management of the hospital with provision for children of all four counties. In 1948 the running of the Hospital was transferred to the National Health Service. Subsequent developments included a change of name in 1959 to Strathmartine Hospital and major building works in 1963-1965, which saw the demolition of the original premises and the creation of new and improved facilities, including three new single storey wards and a swimming pool. Two new 25 bed wards were opened in 1980.
It was progressively decommissioned from the late 1980s, closing completely in 2003

Stracathro Hospital

  • Corporate body
  • 1939-
Stracathro Hospital was established in 1939 as a wartime Emergency Hospital facility for casualties of World War II. It then became a District General Hospital and since 2005, Stracathro has been the site for the Scottish Regional Treatment Centre.

Stanley Mills

  • Corporate body
  • 1786-1989
Stanley Mills was established as a cotton mill by local merchants in 1786 with the support of English cotton baron Richard Arkwright. Initially business flourished and a secondary mill was established to meet the needs of the ever-expanding complex. However, following extensive fire damage and a period of industrial decline, triggered by war in France, the business was forced to close in 1799. It was bought by James Craig in 1801, with financial support from David Dale, the founder of the Lanark Mills, and reopened that same year. Despite a promising start the company's success soon fell away and the complex was again closed in 1813. After 10 years of closure, the mill was bought and reopened by Buchanan and Co. of Glasgow. The company developed the business by building a Mid Mill, enlarging the East Mill and developing the Stanley Village to include a Church and new housing complex. The company enjoyed considerable success for 30 years before Buchanan sold the business in 1852 to Samuel Howard. Following the cotton famine of the 1860s, the business was again closed. It was purchased by Frank Stewart Sandeman in 1880 who modernised production by replacing waterwheels with more efficient water turbines. In an effort to further improve the business's fortunes, Sandeman also diversified production and began producing cotton belts for use in industrial machines and selvedge cotton for use in the booming jute and linen industries. The business continued to operate until 1989 when it closed its doors for the last time.

St Salvador’s Church, Hilltown, Dundee

  • Corporate body
  • 1856-
St Salvador’s church was founded with a school in the Hilltown area of Dundee in 1856 by Bishop Alexander Penrose Forbes and the Reverend James Nicolson, later Dean of Brechin. Its mission was to the many mill workers who lived in the tenements in the area. G F Bodley was commissioned to design the halls and church, and worship started in the upper part of the building to the south designed as the school. The nave of the church followed in 1868 and the chancel in 1874. The whole building was consecrated on Holy Cross day in that year. The church continues the original ministry to the city’s poor, running one of the busiest food banks in the city after Mass on Sundays. (Source: http://s204617846.websitehome.co.uk/)

St Salvador’s church

  • Corporate body
  • 1856-
St Salvador’s church was founded with a school in the Hilltown area of Dundee in 1856 by Bishop Alexander Penrose Forbes and the Reverend James Nicolson, later Dean of Brechin. Its mission was to the many mill workers who lived in the tenements in the area. G F Bodley was commissioned to design the halls and church, and worship started in the upper part of the building to the south designed as the school. The nave of the church followed in 1868 and the chancel in 1874. The whole building was consecrated on Holy Cross day in that year. The church continues the original ministry to the city’s poor, running one of the busiest food banks in the city after Mass on Sundays.
(Source: http://s204617846.websitehome.co.uk/)
Results 1 to 25 of 69